Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Why should we BREAK ALL THE RULES ?

Have you ever wondered "Why should we BREAK ALL THE RULES ?"

What is the point?

Kathy Sierra brings up some good points about "Rules" in her blog (see link below):
http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/02/f_the_rules.html

Inspired by her comments, I put together the attached diagrams: (link to PDF file below)
http://www.notewordy.com/PDFs/LifeCycleOfRules.pdfLife Cycle of Rules

I find it an interesting analogy to think of rules as signposts or trees in the forest that help keep you on the right path. Of course if there are too many trees or the signposts turn into fences, then you will lose sight of new opportunities!

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees ... especially if your goal is no longer on your current path through the woods!

d.Mark "Dave" Wheeler

Also check out ... www.TheWorldsMostCreativePerson.com

2 comments:

Jon T said...

Hey,
I was trying to download your Business Life Cycle of Rules but the link doesn't seem to work anymore. I found it elsewhere, but it took some searching. Thought you might want to know.

I think it's great, btw. So simple. So clear.

Dave Wheeler said...

Jon,
I've updated the link. Thanks for letting me know!
Dave